Mold got you down?

How to treat mold problems on your house or deck and even in your shower!

What are the signs of mold and mildew on my deck/house?

If you think that you may have a mold or mildew problem here is how to tell. Mildew is a flat white and even gray fungus that lies on the surface of a damp area. Mold can be identified as a black or green fuzzy sometimes even a slimy fungi. Once it starts in an area around your home it can spread to nearly anywhere, such as the siding on your house to your deck.  Mold and mildew grow in very moist environments to stay alive.

Causes of mold and mildew

The most common factor of mold and mildew formation on your deck is neglect. Things like poor ventilation, excess moister, and lack of proper cleaning all lead to mold and mildew.  If you happen to have mold on your wooden deck then you need to keep in mind that it may lead to wood splintering, cracked boards and often rotting.

Removal

If you find yourself with a mold or mildew problem, it can be a simple fix. The most common cleaner is a mixture of bleach and water.  50 50 mixture of each. Apply the mixture to the whole deck and let it sit for 15-30 min  DO NOT SCRUB . Then you will need to power wash or use a steam-power sprayer for the whole deck. This will make your deck look like new.

 

Prevention

To prevent mold or mildew build up keep the area dry as possible, and remove the food source by sweeping and/or washing that area. Make sure that your gutters are not draining onto the deck or side of the house. Also make sure to avoid the use of lawn and plant fertilizer on the deck. Keep your windows and siding caulked so it doesn’t make its way into your home. Sweep your deck off every week especially when pollen is heavy. You may find that mold and mildew will grow under your deck, to prevent this from happening you will need to add better ventilation under your deck. This will allow airflow under your deck and keep it dry.  You may need to add a better drainage system to keep the moister to a minimum.

 

Showers are another common area that tends to grow mold.

We usually need to treat an area with a solution of 50% water and 50% bleach and spray those areas down and allow to soak.  You do not need to rinse as this solution will continue to kill the mold.

 

 

Many times mold can be avoided by using an after shower spray, proper ventilation, and leaving your shower door cracked open to allow the area do dry.

 

Any other questions feel free to call us at 712-336-4475

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *